NAVAL VESSELS LAKE ONTARIO WAR OF 1812

The St Lawrence had her keel laid on 12 April 1814, and was launched on 10 September 1814. British naval commodore Sir James Lucas Yeo commissioned her as his flagship, with Captain Frederick Hickey as Flag Captain, in the Kingston Royal Naval Dockyard in Kingston, Upper Canada.

During the war of 1812 -1814 Main Duck Island is where Sir James Lucas Yeo pulled in for shelter after a running battle with the American Commodore, Chauncey, on September 11, 1813.

It was also past this Island that the mightiest sailing ship of the western world at the time, HMS St.
Lawrence, built in Kingston Ontario in 1814, first worked her way into the Lake.